COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP): The state Department of Health says the number of suicides in Ohio increased 45% from 2007 to 2018 and by more than half for young people.
Republican Gov. Mike DeWine responded to Wednesday’s report by saying his RecoveryOhio initiative seeks to address mental illness and issues leading to suicide.
Findings in the report include:
– The number of suicides for those age 10 to 24 increased by 56% while the rate increased by 64% from 2007 to 2018.
– The rate for people 65 and older increased by nearly 48% between 2007 and 2018.
– White, non-Hispanic males had the highest suicide rate.
– The suicide rate among black males increased by 54% from 2014 to 2018.
– Five people die by suicide every day in Ohio with over 1,800 suicide deaths last year.