FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): A WOWO radio icon is joining the Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association (ISSA) Hall of Fame.
Art Saltsberg has been a mainstay with WOWO for decades, spending almost 25 years as an on-air personality and another two decades in the sales department. He can now add “Hall of Famer” to his resume, as he is among nine honorees announced by the ISSA on Monday, February 11th.
Saltsberg served in the WOWO Newsroom and as WOWO News Director in the 1970s, as well as host of WOWO Sports Talk in the late ’70s and mid ’80s. He also served as the General Manager for the Fort Wayne Fury of the Continental Basketball Association from 1993 to 1995.
The 2019 class of the ISSA Hall of Fame will be celebrated on April 7th at the Valle Vista Country Club in Greenwood. This year’s class brings the Hall of Fame to 117 members.
The full list of this year’s honorees:
- Gordon Engelhardt, Evansville Courier & Press
- Chuck Freeby, WHME South Bend
- Mike Haynes, former voice of the Colorado Avalanche
- Robin Miller, NBCSN, formerly of the Indianapolis Star
- Rita Price, WRSW Warsaw
- Art Saltsberg, WOWO Fort Wayne
- Corky Lamm Sportswriter of the Year – Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier
- Ron Lemasters Lifetime Achievement Award Steve Fields, Terre Haute Tribune-Star correspondent and formerly of the Greencastle Banner-Graphic.
- Bob Williams Helping Hand Award – Mike Skvara, 34-year media coordinator for IHSAA football State Finals and worked with the Evansville Memorial football program.
To hear Saltsberg’s interview with Kayla Blakeslee on Fort Wayne’s Morning News, click here.