FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO) – With Thanksgiving under wraps, it’s officially time for an unofficial holiday: Black Friday.
The Fort Wayne Police Department has released a list of safety tips to consider when out shopping for your friends and family:
- Pre-plan your outing. Let someone know where you will be shopping, your intended route and your expected return time.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out, and drive and dress accordingly.
- Shop in a group. There is safety in numbers.
- If shopping with children, identify a central location to meet in the event that you become separated.
- Only use one credit card. That way, if there is a security breach, you will reduce the risk of having multiple cards compromised.
- When the sales clerk asks if you’d like the receipt in your bag or with you, always take it with you. Should your shopping bags be stolen or lost, the offender cannot return your items with receipts for cash.
- Keep your purse close to your body, and your wallet in an inside pocket/front pants pocket.
- Don’t remove cash until the moment you are ready to make a purchase.
- Never argue or fight over an item.
- Be patient when looking for a parking spot.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Inspect/look around your vehicle before approaching it.
- When storing your shopping bags in your vehicle, keep them out of plain site, and in your trunk if possible.
- If shopping online, make sure that your packages will arrive when someone is home. A package left on the porch is easily stolen.