FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO) – The 7th Annual Winterval Celebration will be on Saturday, January 26 in downtown Fort Wayne. The festival features full day of indoor and outdoor activities for all ages.
The Community Center will offer a free Winter Carnival from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at its location of 233 W. Main Street. Activities include horse and carriage rides, face painting, games and crafts, and treats. Children will also have the chance to crawl through an eight foot ice tunnel and participate in a Children’s Book Swap and sale. At 2:30 p.m., residents can watch a live ice carving.
Botanical Conservatory also is participating as they will have Winterval activities from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. that day. Their activities include making a winter bird feeder, interactive displays and an ice carving demonstration. There is also a new “Hundred Acre Wood” display for everyone to attend. The Botanical Conservatory is located at 1100 S. Calhoun Street. Regular admission applies.
Downtown venues that are offering activities for Winterval, with some providing discounts and refreshments are:
– 9-10:30 am: Winter Hike & Bonfire Social, Lindenwood Nature Preserve, Free Guided Hike and Campfire
– 9 am – 3 pm, US Midwest Scale Model Nationals- Freeze Frame Picture Car & Truck Show and Freeze Frame Model, Car, Truck and Hobby Show. First Presbyterian Church, 300 W. Wayne St. Free admission for spectators. Entry fees for participants may be found at www.WintervalFW.com.
– 10 am – 5 pm, Nouvelle Annee: A French Garrison 1759, The Old Fort (Historic Fort Wayne), 1201 Spy Run Ave. Re-enactors will demonstrate mail call, military drills, cooking & sewing. Bake sale, hot cocoa & coffee also available. Free admission, donations accepted.
– 10 am – 5 pm, Science Central, 1950 N. Clinton. Enjoy family fun activities and ice cream made using liquid nitrogen (11 am-4 pm). Regular admission applies.
– 10 am – 3 pm, Winterval at the Conservatory. Regular admission applies.
– 11 am – 10 pm, Public Skating at Headwaters Ice Rink, 333 S. Clinton St. Fort Wayne Ice Skating Club Exhibitions at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15. Regular admission.
– 12 p.m., Winter Bike Ride, 1900 N Clinton St, Cyclists will meet at Lawton Park and pedal to Franke Park Nature Lodge for free hot cocoa, then back to Lawton.
– 12 – 4 pm, Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza. Ice carving on the Plaza, 12-2 pm; simple seasonal crafts, 2-4 pm; free admission.
– 1 pm, Annual Snow Bowl Rugby Game, Lawton Park, 1900 N. Clinton St. Fort Wayne Rugby Football Club, IPFW, Taylor University and Indiana Wesleyan Rugby Clubs compete, Free admission.
– 1 – 4 pm, Winter Carnival, Community Center
– 8:00-10:00 p.m.: Winter Cozy, Saturday, January 26, Headwaters Park West, Clinton at Superior; Admission is $10, Ages 21+ only.
Places that are offering live ice sculptures are:
– 10:30 am Botanical Conservatory, 1100 S. Calhoun St.
– 12 pm Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza
– 2:30 pm Community Center, 233 W. Main St.
You can also view already sculpted ice carvings throughout the day at these locations:
– Design Collaborative/Hoppy Gnome/Proximo, 203 E. Berry St. & 898 S. Harrison St.
– Visit Fort Wayne, 927 S. Harrison St.
– Community Center, 233 W. Main
– Cap’n Cork, 1031 Broadway
– Old National Bank, 116 E. Berry
– Fort Wayne Komets, Headwaters Ice Rink, 333 S. Clinton St.
– Carson LLP, 301 W. Jefferson
There will be a Winterval Penguin Scavenger Hunt. Nine Penguin Ice sculptures will be hanging around downtown on Saturday with the search beginning at the Community Center. Participants who complete the hunt will have a chance to win a $100 prize basket.
You can find more information about Winterval at WintervalFW.com