FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Richard Niemeyer’s murder trial in the 1993 death of Kevin Weisenburger was supposed to start October 11.
Instead, he’s a free man.
Niemeyer, who was arrested last year after his DNA matched evidence collected at the scene of Weisenburger’s death, has long said he had nothing to do with it, and Weisenburger’s own mother echoed that. His first trial, back in July, ended in a mistrial after a jury couldn’t come to a unanimous decision.
Prosecutors at the time vowed to try again, but Tuesday they filed a motion to dismiss, which was accepted.
Weisenburger was beaten to death with a barbell inside his home. Neimeyer says he never even knew the man.