NATIONWIDE, (WOWO) – Purdue University was ranked 12th safest college campus in America, according to Alarms.org.
Campuses were ranked using the most recent data from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting and the Campus Safety Security Survey put out by the U.S. Department of Education.
All accredited institutions were considered except those with enrollment under 10,000 students or those with a significant amount of unavailable data.
School safety scores were calculated by analyzing crimes reported by the university, including rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, vehicle theft and arson. Other factors included were violent and property crime rates for the city each school is located, and the number of law enforcement officers employed per 1,000 students.
The top five safest college campuses in America include:
- Brigham Young University – Rexburg, Idaho
- Oakland University – Rochester, Michigan
- Northern Kentucky University – Highland Heights, Kentucky
- University of Rhode Island – South Kingston, Rhode Island
- Bridgewater State University – Bridgewater, Massachusetts