FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Animal Care & Control reminds pet owners to continually monitor the needs of their pets whenever the animals are outside.
The shelter is offering the following pet care tips:
– An animal that spends time outside must have access to a shelter. It must be free of leaks to wind, snow, and rain.
– Use straw or cedar chips for bedding.
– Insulate the animal's house and raise it several inches above the ground with concrete blocks to prevent snow from drifting inside.
– Animals need extra food to help generate enough body heat to stay warm and must have unfrozen water to drink at all times.
– Keep all cats inside. Those who spend time outside can experience frostbite, or become lost or injured.
– Bring dogs inside during extreme cold spells. Animals are very susceptible to frostbite and can quickly die of hypothermia if left outside unsupervised.
– Wipe off your dog's legs and stomach following cold weather walks.
The shelter is also providing free straw to any Allen County resident in need of animal bedding during these cold days of winter.
Visit Animal Care & Control located at 3020 Hillegas Road during general business hours Monday-Friday, 11:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and until 7:00 p.m. Wednesdays to pick up your free straw.