UPDATE: Indiana: No plans to cut domestic violence funds…

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ The administration of Gov. Mike Pence is disputing an advocate's claim that the state wants to slash funding for services to domestic violence victims by more than a third at a time when demand for them is surging.
 
Pence spokeswoman Kara Brooks says the governor hasn't ordered any cuts. Indiana Criminal Justice Institute spokesman Gary Abell says its victim services subcommittee has proposed maintaining last year's more than $2 million in funding and adding nearly $827,000 more once agencies provide details on how they'd spend the additional funds.


However, Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence Executive Director Laura Berry tells The Indianapolis Star that the Criminal Justice Institute trustees are due to vote Friday on cutting $1.25 million from the $3.5 million the state has appropriated for domestic violence programs.