Prosecutor’s office: Officers involved in deadly shooting acted in self-defense

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): The two police officers involved in a shooting that killed a Fort Wayne man last month have been cleared.

Fort Wayne Police and Indiana State Police investigated the shooting and the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office determined the death was a result of self-defense. No charges will be filed.

The prosecutor’s office says Fort Wayne officer David Wilkins and Indiana State Police officer John Grant were justified in using deadly force because they believed it was necessary to protect themselves and others.

The two officers responded to the AutoZone on Rudisill Boulevard on reports of gunfire at about 9:30 p.m. on March 20.

They said the suspect fled and fired shots at the officers. Both officers returned fire and shot and killed the suspect.

The suspect was identified as Abraham Martinez, 62, of Fort Wayne.

It’s not clear which officer fired the shot that killed him.

Before police arrived, Martinez allegedly shot a man inside the store who was taken to an area hospital.

RELATED: Second officer identified in Fort Wayne deadly officer-involved shooting

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here