INDIANAPOLIS (AP): Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has reversed course from a previously held position and is now seeking federal money to help pay for an expanded pre-kindergarten program that helps disadvantage children.
Pence said Thursday that the success of a five-county pilot program led him to write a letter to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to inquire about federal grants.
The Republican governor surprised many in 2014 when he decided to not seek $80 million in federal pre-K funding amid opposition from religious conservative groups.
Pence said Thursday that he wanted to make sure the smaller pilot program worked before asking for federal money.
Many families that applied for the On My Way Pre-K pilot program were turned down because demand was too high for available funds.
Allen County was chosen as one of five counties in the pilot program last year.