FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Opponents speaking out against a proposed amendment to include a ban on gay marriage in the state constitution have a new ally.
Greater Fort Wayne Inc. is joining the list of Hoosier groups against passing the state amendment to define marriage between a man and a woman. The group’s decision came down Thursday after a board meeting where members took a vote to oppose the ban.
The Indiana General Assembly will consider the issue in the legislative session that begins in January 2014.
Also during the non-profit group meeting, they set their key legislative priorities for 2014.
Key agenda items:
- Single county Executive for Allen County
- Creating new and maintaining existing economic development incentives in order to strengthen Fort Wayne as a regional center
- Infrastructure investments to achieve development‐ready sites
- Riverfront development
- Available resources for entrepreneurs and start‐ups
- Streamlining the permitting process
“We go through a process to establish our key priorities to best serve our investors and community,” said Mark Becker, CEO of Greater Fort Wayne Inc. “The business advocacy committee made recommendations to GFW’s Board of Directors, which supported the full recommendation of the committee. These issues will impact our educational systems and economic growth, which is why it is important for GFW to advocate for issues that affect the business community at the local, state, and federal level.”