INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WOWO): Friday is going to be another rough day outside for folks with breathing issues.
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has extended Thursday’s Air Quality Action Day advisory through Friday.
High ozone levels are being predicted for the following areas:
- Southeast Indiana – Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Scott, and Washington
- Southwest Indiana – Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Greene, Knox, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh, and Warrick
- Central Indiana – Marion, Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Delaware, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Monroe, Morgan and Shelby
- Northwest Indiana – Lake, Porter, LaPorte
- North Central Indiana – St. Joseph, Elkhart
- Northeast Indiana – Allen, Huntington
- West Central Indiana – Vigo
IDEM officials are encouraging Hoosiers to help reduce ozone levels by making simple changes. You can:
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation
- Avoid using the drive-through and combine errands into one trip
- Avoid refueling your vehicle or using gasoline-powered lawn equipment until after 7 p.m.
- Turn off your engine when idling for more than 30 seconds
- Conserve energy by turning off lights or setting the air conditioner to 75 degrees or above
Anyone sensitive to changes in air quality may be affected, primarily sensitive groups like kids and the elderly.