House Fire on McKee Street Ruled Accidental

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Fort Wayne Arson Investigators have determined that Sunday’s house fire on McKee Street was accidental. According to the Fort Wayne Fire Department the fire was caused by a child playing with a lighter.

 

The blaze broke out just before 8:00 p.m., Sunday evening. When crews arrived they found a four-year-old hiding from the flames in a first-floor entertainment center.

 

The fire was contained to an upstairs bedroom in about 10 minutes. Investigators say the damage to the home was moderate, but a woman and the four-year-old were treated for minor smoke inhalation.

 

The Fort Wayne Fire Department would like to remind you to:

 

·Secure lighters and matches away from children.

·Educate your children on the dangers caused by experimenting with fire.  ·Be sure to have working smoke detectors inside the home and change their batteries annually. 

·Have an escape plan. 

·Practice your escape plan.