Fort Wayne among recipients of historic preservation grants

Photo by Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership (Source: https://goo.gl/59wJ8H License: https://goo.gl/uk4xos)

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): Ten communities across the state, including Fort Wayne, have received federal grants from the Department of Natural Resources for historic preservation and archaeology projects.

The money comes from the National Park Service, through the Historic Preservation Fund Program. Since 1974, the state has awarded more than $18 million to Indiana communities through the program.

See the full list of recipients below:

Benton County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,972 grant to conduct an archaeological survey of 900 acres in Benton County.

Fort Wayne: The City of Fort Wayne received a $6,891 grant to prepare a National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Lakeside Historic District, and also to design and print brochures for downtown historic properties in Fort Wayne.

Greencastle: The Heritage Preservation Society of Putnam County received a $40,000 grant to help stabilize and restore the Putnam County Civil War Soldier’s Monument, which was dedicated in July 1870.

Greenwood: The City of Greenwood will receive a $4,750 grant to prepare a National Register of Historic Places nomination for the Greenwood Historic District. This district includes approximately 300 contributing resources, most of which are residential and date from the mid-19th to the mid-20th centuries.

Indianapolis: The Indiana Medical History Museum received a $47,400 grant to help rehabilitate the exterior of the Old Pathology Building at the Central State Hospital complex, which now houses the Indiana Medical History Museum.

Madison: Historic Madison Inc. received a $50,000 grant to help restore an iron fence and its stone base surrounding the Shrewsbury-Windle House in Madison. The property is a National Historic Landmark (NHL) built in 1849.

Newton County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,972 grant to conduct a survey of approximately 900 acres in Newton County. The project is intended to add to the understanding of prehistoric cultures, the Euro-American presence and Native American interaction.

Peru: The Miami of Indiana received a $50,000 grant to replace the roof on two portions of the Miami of Indiana’s Tribal Complex. The campus consists of three buildings that were initially built as part of the City of Peru’s schools.

Tippecanoe County: The University of Southern Indiana received a $26,308 grant to conduct a non-invasive, geophysical archaeological survey and more precise mapping of Native American villages that once surrounded Fort Ouiatenon on the Wabash River in Tippecanoe County.

Vincennes: The City of Vincennes received a $50,000 grant to help repair windows and masonry of the Vincennes Police Department building. The building is a former post office, built in 1907 and expanded in 1936.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here