Firefighter among three hurt in early-morning fire

("Old Fire Truck at MOTAT" by Sam Glover, CC BY-ND 2.0)

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WOWO): An early-morning fire that injured three people, including a Fort Wayne firefighter, may have been started by a cigarette.

The Fort Wayne Fire Department was called to the Travel Inn on West Coliseum at 1:07am today for a room that was fully engulfed in flames.

The room’s occupant, who told firefighters he had fallen asleep while holding a lit cigarette, had managed to get out before firefighters arrived and had suffered burns to his back, while another guest in a different room was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.

One firefighter was hurt while dealing with the blaze and was also hospitalized in good condition.

Several rooms suffered heavy water, smoke, and fire damage.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here