Carbon Monoxide Blamed for Sickening Indiana Factory Workers

MIDDLEBURY, Ind. (AP) _ A northern Indiana factory was evacuated as several workers taken to a hospital to be checked out for possible carbon monoxide poisoning.
 
Emergency crews were called about 7 a.m. Monday to a Forest River recreational vehicle plant in Middlebury after workers started feeling ill. WNDU-TV and WSBT-TV report five people were taken by ambulance to the hospital, with at least a dozen others taken by bus.
 
Middlebury Fire Chief Jeff Wogman says a furnace exhaust system had rusted through, causing fumes to go directly into the building. He says many workers were suffering from headaches, nausea and other symptoms.
 
About 140 people were working in the plant some 30 miles east of South Bend when it was evacuated.