Porter County School Evacuated for Nearby Gas Leak Created by kblakeslee on 4/30/2013 12:59:23 PM
VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP) _ Valparaiso police say a middle school in the northern Indiana city was evacuated as a precaution after crews working nearby hit a natural gas line, causing a leak.
Police Sgt. Mike Grennes told The Times of Munster that authorities were called to a neighborhood about 9:45 a.m. CDT Tuesday about the smell of gas. He says Ben Franklin Middle School was evacuated as a precaution because winds were blowing the gas toward the school. He called the evacuation ``precautionary.''
The students were bused to Valparaiso High School about a quarter mile away.
Grennes said NIPSCO crews arrived about 10:30 a.m. to begin repairing the gas line.