Will We Survive 4 More Years? Created by msouder on 11/7/2012 1:30:50 PM
Probably with a few exceptions. More babies lives will end before departing the womb. The President's anti-colonialist worldview (as opposed to American's dominant leadership) is likely to continue to encourage things like the non-disciplined revolutions in north Africa and Syria, which then lead to far left, pro-terrorist governments worse than the bad previous ones. American lives will be lost like in Libya, and we may force multiple Afghanistans (not to mention chaos there). Some may be taken over with nuclear weapons (Pakistan), others gain them (Iran). The economy could collapse with the Fed having all been tapped out to promote his re-election. He could try to "GM" more and more big corporations every time one threatens to close down, plus continue to refuse to sell GM stock (like legislation ordered) because of loses from sale (yet impose policies that don't let the stock rise, such as the Volt versus pick-ups).
But other than nuclear war, rise of terrorism, economic collapse and disastrous social policies, we should be fine.
Okay, that is the worst case.
Here is the best case with the President moderating just a bit, and House Republicans being forced into some cooperation.
1) Taxes are raised on the wealthy so the whole country doesn't go over a cliff, and he alters the Sub S/individual income effect on defining "wealthy." That would damage venture capital that takes risk and stagnate the economy but at least doesn't crush it.
2) He realizes that the anti-colonialist bias he grew up with and held for much of his life isn't working, and realizes that before Iran gets a nuclear bomb and Pakistan falls to a terrorist controlled government (as opposed to one that coddles them). Some more countries fall to the Muslim Brotherhood in the name of throwing off their "colonial installed dictators" as Arab Spring turns into a terrorist dominated nightmare - but this is so gradual over four years that the next President can fix it (though likely will require another military intervention to set the tone). That's the best scenario we can hope for.
3) The Republican-controlled House stops new legislation and tries to control his executive order powers.
4) ObamaCare is now inevitable. The Republicans push some reasonable changes that the President, under pressure to work together, accepts to make it damaging but not crippling. Costs go up slower but innovation stops, and mostly moves to countries other than the United States.
5) The four conservative Supreme Court Justices plus Justice Kennedy do not retire or die.
Life will go on. Things probably won't change all that much and changes will come gradually so that they aren't noticed much by most other than these crazy conservatives (like me, like WOWO) who keep yelling that there are termites eating down our house and we need to stop them before it completely collapses.
We are the proverbial frog in the gradually heating boiling water that didn't jump out. Had he understood the boil, by having it boiling at the beginning, he never would have gotten in.
We are the frog with the heat rising. Hard to say how high the temperature is. But unless we jump soon, America as we know it can not survive.